Tips on how to land your backhandspring:
Before attempting these tips you must first be able to throw a backhandspring. Click here for instructions (make sure you have a proper spotter on hand)
Now let’s understand why you are not landing your backhandpspring. Here are a couple of reasons:
How do you fix these problems?
- For poor technique you need to practice. Make sure you are dipping with your legs, using your arms, using your legs, sitting back, jumping, throwing your head back (not to the side), keeping your arms straight, etc. etc. For safety reasons you really need an instructor with you to improve your technique, and to also pinpoint what you are doing incorrect.
- For Not enough momentum you need to make sure you are sitting back into the BH and jumping. This will give your BH momentum and make it easier to get your feet around. Trying standing with your back to a wall and squating so that as you squat you fall into the wall. This exercise will help you understand what it should feel like when you begin your BH.
- For No push off/shrug make sure you are giving a shrug/push off the ground to help continue the momentum of the BH, and to help you snap your feet to the ground. Try doing a handstand, then shrug and snap your feet to the ground for a good exercise. This will improve the power and stregnth in your shoulders and make your BH easier.
- For No snap with your legs make sure you are using your abs to snap your legs down. This will continue the momentum of your BH and help get your feet underneath you. Many cheerleaders have lazy legs. This is when their legs just flop to the ground as they are trying to land their backhandspring. Do quick crunches to improve the speed/stregnth of your abs.
- For Landing not squeezed make sure you get your feet underneath you, squat down, and squeeze your body as you land. Make sure you try to not move in the end as you land. Many cheerleaders concentrate too much on the actual BH and forget the landing. So always work on every aspect of the BH for your full benefit.